Roustabout jobs are the entry-level jobs on oil rigs. On most oil rigs, you work 12 hours a day, 7 days a week for 2 to 3 weeks at a stretch. Working as a roustabout is back-breaking and dirty – you do everything from cleaning and painting the oil rig to mixing the drilling mud and even moving supplies and equipment around the oil rig. On the other hand, practically everyone who matters on board the oil rig starts out as a roustabout, so you have no right to complain.
For English-speaking workers, there are three main places which hire people for roustabout jobs – Canada, US and UK. Alberta in Canada is still short of people, so it is easiest to get hired there. As long as you are tough enough and show the right attitude, many companies will be willing to pay for any courses or certifications which are required.
At the moment, it is also fairly easy to get offshore roustabout jobs in the US, especially in the Gulf Coast region. In some places, it is as simple as showing up at the temp agency. As in Canada, many companies badly need workers and are willing to pay for any training and certifications required. As a rough guide, your employer will send you to get your in offshore medical certificate, offshore survival certificate and helicopter underwater escape training certificate before you even set foot on the oil rig. After that will probably be a 2 or 3 week course induction course on your duties aboard the oil rig.
UK residents have it tougher. Most employers want you to show your BOSIET offshore survival training certificate, offshore medical certificate, and what the Brits call a GreenHand course. All told, taking getting all of these could set you back 3500 pounds, depending on where you take these course, and there is no guarantee of a job. The offshore scene there is surprisingly small – you really need to know the right people. Most of the jobs are off Aberdeen, so if you live elsewhere you really do not have a chance at all. For new hires without connections, the ex-armed forces personnel find it easiest to break in. British servicemen have a kind of skills conversion course which helps them get offshore oil jobs. Frankly, UK residents who want to break into the oil industry are better off looking for jobs in Alberta or the US Gulf Coast states.
When you apply for roustabout jobs, remember to highlight work experience which involves manual work and mechanical work. If you have any survival training or something like the BOSIET or HUET certificates, highlight these as well. Remember that roustabouts do a lot of manual labor, so do NOT brag about your university degree or some other highly technical skill – the employer may reject you for being over-qualified. Some companies now want you to prove that you have completed your high school education. Regardless of who you work for, there will be frequent drug-testing, especially if any accidents happen.
For more details on how you can find roustabout jobs, buy and read How To Get A Job On The Rigs. This book is crammed with proven tips and techniques on how you can find “hidden” oil rig jobs, the really important facts that need to go into your cover letter and resume, as well as information on how to pass your interviews. There is even a members-only site which contains the most up-to-date list of oil drilling companies which are hiring. This book comes with a 60 day money back guarantee if you do not find the information useful.
This article on roustabout jobs was also published on EzineArticles.com.
- Category: Oil Rig Jobs Articles
- Are Oil Rig Companies Still Hiring In A Recession?
- Drilling Jobs On Alberta Oil Rigs
- Drilling Rig Jobs: Is Earning $100,000 Per Annum Too Good To Be True?
- Employment On Oil Rigs - US Gulf versus northern Canada (Alberta)
- Entry Level Rig Jobs
- How To Become An Offshore Oil Rig Insider - 7 Tips For New Starts To Get Hired Fast
- Jobs In Oil And Gas For Mud Loggers
- Jobs In Oil Field: What Are The Top Paying Jobs Today?
- Jobs Offshore (No Experience Needed On An Oil Rig)
- Looking For Offshore Oil Rig Jobs? Beat Your Rivals With These 3 Tips
- Offshore Catering Jobs: How Much Do These Jobs Pay? How Do I Find These Catering Jobs?
- Offshore Drilling Companies: 50 Offshore Drilling Companies To Get You Started
- Offshore Drilling Jobs: How To Get Hired Without Drilling Experience
- Offshore Drilling Rig Jobs: 9 Steps To Getting Your Offshore Drilling Rig Job
- Offshore Employment And Oil Company Jobs: What Are Your Prospects Like In The Next 10 Years?
- Offshore Employment: What Are Important Things You Need To Know About Offshore Employment?
- Offshore Jobs: What Does It Mean To You And Why Should You Care?
- Offshore Oil Drilling Jobs: 5 Sure-Fire Techniques To Find Jobs In The Oil Industry
- Offshore Oil Jobs: Do You Have What It Takes?
- Offshore Oil Rig Jobs In Texas
- Offshore Oil Rig Jobs: 3 Tips To Get Hired Fast For Rig Work
- Offshore Oil Rig Jobs: No Experience - How Do I Get Started?
- Offshore Oil Rig Jobs: The New Hot Job For This Decade
- Offshore Rig Jobs: Are You Making These 7 Mistakes In Your Cover Letter?
- Oil Careers: These 3 Fatal Mistakes In Your Resume Could Derail Your Career In The Oil Industry
- Oil Company Jobs: How Much Longer Will Oil Company Jobs Remain Hot?
- Oil Drilling Jobs: 10 Tips And Warnings For Your First Oil Job
- Oil Drilling Rig Jobs - Why Look For Entry Level Roustabout Jobs And Offshore Drilling Rig Jobs?
- Oil Employment: Where Are The Offshore Drilling Jobs?
- Oil Field Employment - The Good, The Bad And The Ugly
- Oil Field Jobs: What Are Working Conditions Like On The Oil Field?
- Oil Platform Jobs: Planning For Your Future or 4 Retirement Plans
- Oil Recruitment: I Received A Job Offer From XYZ Oil Company. How Do I Find Out If This A Scam?
- Oil Rig Companies: How Are New Oil Workers Getting Themselves Hired Without Experience?
- Oil Rig Employment: What Do You Need To Do Before You Get Hired?
- Oil Rig Jobs - Notes And Rants For Those With No Experience
- Oil Rig Jobs: What Is It Like To Work An Oil Rig Job?
- Oil Rig Roustabout Jobs
- Oil Rig Vacancies - How To Find Out Which Drilling Rig Is Hiring
- Oil Rigs Employment: What To Do To Get Hired Easily
- Oilfield Job: A Mudlogger's Career Advancement To Data Engineer And Beyond
- Preparing For Your Offshore Oil Jobs Interview - What Happens On Oil Rigs?
- Retirement Benefits On Oil Rigs
- Rig Employment: 5 Reasons Why You Can't Get Oil Drilling Jobs
- Rig Welding Jobs: What You Need To Know About Oil Rig Welder Jobs
- Rigs Employment: What To Do To Get Hired Quickly, Easily
- Roustabout Job Vacancies - Here Are 10 Ways To Find An Entry Level Roustabout Job
- Roustabout Jobs: How To Get Hired As An Offshore Roustabout
- Roustabout Resume and Cover Letter
Page 1 of 2 : Next Page
Plugin by dagondesign.com
No related posts.