Rig welding jobs pay about $62,000 per year. This is more than double the average salary of welders in the manufacturing industry – good news as more and more production jobs move overseas. Even if this will be your first oil rig job, you still have a chance to get hired. Like roustabout jobs, rig welder jobs are considered entry level on an oil rig. Before you run out to look for these jobs, here is some background information to get you started.
The oil industry is always looking to hire qualified rig welders – the key point being “qualified”. In most cases, you will be tested on your level of skill before you are hired. Of course, it helps to be certified, whatever that means in your jurisdiction. Certainly makes it easier for your resume to get through the oil contractor’s human resources department.
In the UK, some oil companies require their welders to be certified up to “6 GR” by CITB (formerly known as City and Guilds). At this level, your welding needs to be very precise, even passing x-ray testing. In the US, much of your welding certification is not transferable between employers, and only lasts for 6 months. The exception is if you take your welding test at an accredited AWS facility.
It helps if you know someone already working as a rig welder. For one thing, he can help to recommend a job to you. For another, he can tell you what types of welding he usually does on his oil rig – what type of material, what positions, what processes, and so on and so forth. This kind of information can help you to prepare for the test.
Note that there are two main types of oil rig welding jobs. In the first type, you are permanently attached to the oil rig. Your job is to carry out repairs and build new metalwork. In the second type, you are part of a flying squad of welders. You go in when a big project needs to be finished quickly.
Be warned, most oil rig jobs (including rig welder’s jobs) are best suited to single young men. They are very physically demanding and somewhat dangerous. Many oil rigs are located somewhere difficult to reach, so oil rig workers are often out of touch with their families. Unless your girlfriend or wife is very understanding, you might find your relationship in trouble.
Rig welding jobs pay very well for what is basically blue collar work. Since many companies consider this an entry level oil rig job, you have a good chance of getting in even if you have never worked on an oil rig.
RigWorker.com has been helping people get offshore oil rig jobs since 1998.
- Category: Oil Rig Jobs Articles
- Are Oil Rig Companies Still Hiring In A Recession?
- Drilling Jobs On Alberta Oil Rigs
- Drilling Rig Jobs: Is Earning $100,000 Per Annum Too Good To Be True?
- Employment On Oil Rigs - US Gulf versus northern Canada (Alberta)
- Entry Level Rig Jobs
- How To Become An Offshore Oil Rig Insider - 7 Tips For New Starts To Get Hired Fast
- Jobs In Oil And Gas For Mud Loggers
- Jobs In Oil Field: What Are The Top Paying Jobs Today?
- Jobs Offshore (No Experience Needed On An Oil Rig)
- Looking For Offshore Oil Rig Jobs? Beat Your Rivals With These 3 Tips
- Offshore Catering Jobs: How Much Do These Jobs Pay? How Do I Find These Catering Jobs?
- Offshore Drilling Companies: 50 Offshore Drilling Companies To Get You Started
- Offshore Drilling Jobs: How To Get Hired Without Drilling Experience
- Offshore Drilling Rig Jobs: 9 Steps To Getting Your Offshore Drilling Rig Job
- Offshore Employment And Oil Company Jobs: What Are Your Prospects Like In The Next 10 Years?
- Offshore Employment: What Are Important Things You Need To Know About Offshore Employment?
- Offshore Jobs: What Does It Mean To You And Why Should You Care?
- Offshore Oil Drilling Jobs: 5 Sure-Fire Techniques To Find Jobs In The Oil Industry
- Offshore Oil Jobs: Do You Have What It Takes?
- Offshore Oil Rig Jobs In Texas
- Offshore Oil Rig Jobs: 3 Tips To Get Hired Fast For Rig Work
- Offshore Oil Rig Jobs: No Experience - How Do I Get Started?
- Offshore Oil Rig Jobs: The New Hot Job For This Decade
- Offshore Rig Jobs: Are You Making These 7 Mistakes In Your Cover Letter?
- Oil Careers: These 3 Fatal Mistakes In Your Resume Could Derail Your Career In The Oil Industry
- Oil Company Jobs: How Much Longer Will Oil Company Jobs Remain Hot?
- Oil Drilling Jobs: 10 Tips And Warnings For Your First Oil Job
- Oil Drilling Rig Jobs - Why Look For Entry Level Roustabout Jobs And Offshore Drilling Rig Jobs?
- Oil Employment: Where Are The Offshore Drilling Jobs?
- Oil Field Employment - The Good, The Bad And The Ugly
- Oil Field Jobs: What Are Working Conditions Like On The Oil Field?
- Oil Platform Jobs: Planning For Your Future or 4 Retirement Plans
- Oil Recruitment: I Received A Job Offer From XYZ Oil Company. How Do I Find Out If This A Scam?
- Oil Rig Companies: How Are New Oil Workers Getting Themselves Hired Without Experience?
- Oil Rig Employment: What Do You Need To Do Before You Get Hired?
- Oil Rig Jobs - Notes And Rants For Those With No Experience
- Oil Rig Jobs: What Is It Like To Work An Oil Rig Job?
- Oil Rig Roustabout Jobs
- Oil Rig Vacancies - How To Find Out Which Drilling Rig Is Hiring
- Oil Rigs Employment: What To Do To Get Hired Easily
- Oilfield Job: A Mudlogger's Career Advancement To Data Engineer And Beyond
- Preparing For Your Offshore Oil Jobs Interview - What Happens On Oil Rigs?
- Retirement Benefits On Oil Rigs
- Rig Employment: 5 Reasons Why You Can't Get Oil Drilling Jobs
- Rig Welding Jobs: What You Need To Know About Oil Rig Welder Jobs
- Rigs Employment: What To Do To Get Hired Quickly, Easily
- Roustabout Job Vacancies - Here Are 10 Ways To Find An Entry Level Roustabout Job
- Roustabout Jobs: How To Get Hired As An Offshore Roustabout
- Roustabout Resume and Cover Letter
Page 1 of 2 : Next Page
Plugin by dagondesign.com
No related posts.